WaveSpinner is a floatbased wave energy converter.
WaveSpinner unit consists of a float, which is
pulling a flywheel system with a PM-generator. Every WaveSpinner
unit is a fully functioning converter from wave energy to electrical energy.
Multiple units can be built together in a flexible way to a bigger electrical wave
power plant, WaveSpinners
Further WaveSpinner advantages:
1. WaveSpinner is working in both directions. It means that the float absorbs energy both from the lift of the wave crest and from gravity, when the float goes down after the crest has passed. Most other known converters only exploit one direction and relaxes the other.
2. The two opposite directed forces, the lift force and the gravity force, are unified to a one-way rotation of the flywheel system and the generator. It means that the converter absorbs energy twice in every wave period, which gives a fast and smooth rotation.
3. The energy is transmitted as soon as possible out of the waves to avoid friction losses and delays from the slow viscosity in the water. The aim is to obtain maximum amount of energy in the kinetic form.
4. The problems with sea weeds are minimized, because only the foundation, parts of the supporting structure, the float and a small part of the transmission system are under water.
5. Need of lubrication is minimized by using slide bearings of polymer materials.
7. At near coast areas a number of WaveSpinner units can be placed physically and electrically connected on a foundation of supporting structures on the sea floor.
8. The supporting structure is an open lattice construction of strong metal or polymer tubes or profiles, which allows the waves to pass through, except for the part interacting with the floats.
9. A power plant consisting of connected WaveSpinner units can as an option be placed floating on submerged pontoons, anchored by slack mooring to the sea floor. A horizontal plate between the pontoons submerged below the wave disturbance, functions as a stable counterweight to the movements of the floats.
extreme weather conditions the waves are just passing through the open
structure. The floats can be filled with water and submerged or automatically
emptied and lifted over the water level, depending on local conditions.